Friday, February 12, 2010

Sphinx

Yesterday, I anesthetized a patient who sports the last name of one of the more prominent organized crime families.

In the holding area I interviewed him and put him at ease with my usual banter and I believe I  achieved a good rapport with him.

Having forgotten that discretion is the better part of valor, I asked the question that should not have been asked.

"I'm sure you've been asked a million times, but are you a member of that famous family?"

He smiled and said, "I'll answer your question with a question."

"Shoot." I said. (Another unfortunate utterance.)

He asked, "Do you know why the Sphinx has been around for about 4000 years?"

"Why?"

As his smile disappeared he said, "Because he asks no questions."

Point well taken. 

5 comments:

SeaSpray said...

Wow! Do you think he was just having fun with you? Or did you get a bad vibe?


You sound like the kind of anesthesiologist that would put me at ease. :)

SeaSpray said...

I had a really good one at the surgery center last month. I find that the men are far more friendly and funny than the women ..which relaxes me. The female gas docs have been nice ..but reserved/quiet.

I appreciate the friendly ones and feel comforted... and humor always helps.

Unknown said...

I think he was kidding. However I've started special swimming lessons: "Swimming with cement boots"

SeaSpray said...

haha! never hurts to be prepared. :)

kelsey said...

nice story.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...