Friday, April 3, 2009

Unexpected Praise

When I came to work in this hospital, I knew things would be different. What was unexpected, was how different, and how much I would love my work. I had forgotten that feeling. It's not about the difference in the anesthetic approach, though they do exist, they are minor differences. More like different shades of the same color.

The greatest difference is in the atmosphere. Despite an insane workload, there is very little stress. And most people are in a good mood. I can attribute this to the personality of the chief of the department. At the top of her priorities list, next to output, is keeping a happy workforce. It's obvious, isn't it, that a happy worker is a more productive worker? Does one really have to reinvent the wheel every five minutes? My previous boss, though not a bad person, is quixotic and quick to anger, accusing and criticizing in the most uncouth manner. He does this not out of malice but out of lack of style.

Never in ten years in Soroka did I hear one word of appreciation from the boss. I had excellent work relations with the nurses and the surgeons and basically everyone else who works in the hospital. Often these co-workers would express their appreciation whenever we were assigned the same cases. Patients too, would often express their thanks. There was never a kind word from the management. I suppose I got used to this. However, there were those days when I was positive that "public toilet" was tattooed to my forehead.

Now, here in TAMC (Tel Aviv Medical Center), positive feedback is almost a daily occurrence. I'm drinking it up like a thirsty man in the desert. I'm well aware that there is a danger of becoming jaded. However, I am confident that I can avoid that by simply maintaining humility.

The most flattering praise came from the Chief of the department, though, thankfully, not directly. Her secretary told me that she is very pleased with my work. The flurry of superlatives was somewhat embarrassing. But it is, an embarrassment of riches, and I will be the last to complain.

Serendipitously, I ran into one of the deputy directors of Soroka. He told that my leaving was the first signal that something was amiss. Unfortunately for Soroka, I was the first of the 10% of the anesthesiologists who have flown the coop. He admitted that at this moment he doesn't have the means to improve the salary and working conditions that exist here at TAMC, but that things will change. I told him that I didn't leave out of anger, and that if there was a serious offer I would consider returning.

Ironic.

Then again, I'm not so sure. The commute is a long haul. But I'm so pleased with the way things are that I don't really want to go back.

1 comment:

Baila said...

Glad things are working out in Tel-Aviv. The longer commute seems worth it for the job satisfaction you are describing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...